This week over at Kelly's Corner the Show Us Your Life is all about special needs children. So... This post is dedicated to my little toot-toot Toby. Even though Toby is not by any standard a "special needs" child, he does have a few issues and that is what I am sharing today.
It all started back around Toby's first birthday in June 10. We noticed that he didn'ttalk babble quite as much as other babies. He got his first ear infection in October just weeks after he started walking. Between October and March he had 7 infections! Chris and I finally took him to an ENT (without the recommendation of our pediatrician but that's another day's post). Toby had his adenoids removed and pressure equalizing tubes placed in both ears on April 25th, 2011.
Now here is where the fun begins. Just before his 7th infection. Our pediatrician informed us that he was concerned with some of Toby's developmental milestones. Mostly his speech (or lack there of). So we were referred to a program called the TEIS. After many, many evaluations; it was determined that Toby has significant developmental delays in some of his motor skills. I don't have the full report on me but basically the results were that Toby's development in speech is that of a 15 month old and his fine motor skills are that of an 18 month old. So basically he is 6-8 months behind other kids his age. They are also thinking he has Auditory Processing Disorder. I use to joke and say that meant a child just doesn't listen. Now I understand that's because Toby doesn't know HOW to listen. He doesn't understand most of what he hears; thus, all the words tend to blend in together. That's why he is unable to follow simple instructions and gets so easily frustrated.
It all started back around Toby's first birthday in June 10. We noticed that he didn't
Now here is where the fun begins. Just before his 7th infection. Our pediatrician informed us that he was concerned with some of Toby's developmental milestones. Mostly his speech (or lack there of). So we were referred to a program called the TEIS. After many, many evaluations; it was determined that Toby has significant developmental delays in some of his motor skills. I don't have the full report on me but basically the results were that Toby's development in speech is that of a 15 month old and his fine motor skills are that of an 18 month old. So basically he is 6-8 months behind other kids his age. They are also thinking he has Auditory Processing Disorder. I use to joke and say that meant a child just doesn't listen. Now I understand that's because Toby doesn't know HOW to listen. He doesn't understand most of what he hears; thus, all the words tend to blend in together. That's why he is unable to follow simple instructions and gets so easily frustrated.
Since he had his surgery he has done so much better! He is now working with a developmental therapist and and occupational therapist. They go to his daycare every week and boy oh boy does his love the extra attention. He is really starting to comprehend the meaning of the words that he says instead of just imitating what he hears others say. This is most noticeable with "No".
I am so in love with Toby and I am so proud of the little boy he is becoming. Even though he has some challenges ahead of him, I know he will persevere and make great strides!
These little men are the light of my life










5 comments:
Aww Liz... I had no idea this was going on with sweet Toby!! Praying for his sweet body adn praying that he continues to stride in his challenges!! Love y'all and praying for you!
Liz,
Thanks so much for your post. I have a child who is speech delayed and it is so hard. They look so normal on the outside that it is hard to think of them as special needs. Others assume that all is well b/c they look normal.
Best wishes . . your boys are adorable!
Karen Black
Little Rock, AR
Thanks for sharing! This sounds JUST like my 3 yo. Found the delays at 1 year check up. So, how did you learn that he had the Auditory Processing Disorder? We had an MRI done to make sure everything was working properly in his little brain and results came back fine. Just curious if Auditory Processing delay would have shown up in a MRI or not.
Stacey- From what I understand APD is diagnosed by the symptoms. Toby's APD has most certainly been caused by his middle ear infections. This was brought to our attention by his occupational therapist. Unfortunately, durring that critical time where most toddlers are learning to recognize sounds and words; Toby heard everything as if he was underwater. It has been difficult, people assume that he is disobediant or that he is unruley but thats just not true! He is a fantastic little boy with an amazing spirit and I wouldnt trade him for anything in this world!
We also had to fight our ped for an ENT referral. It's crazy! Have you thought about nursery or preschool? Being around peers has helped Sam the most.
Post a Comment