Last week Chris and I decided to foster a dane mix mama and her 3 puppies. I agreed to it without really thinking it through (something I am notorious for doing) and as I drove 45 minutes to pick them up. I was caught talking myself out of it. What was I thinking? How on Earth could I take care of 4 MORE dogs?


I must say, this has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I have found homes for other dogs before. I have even adopted dogs from shelters before. But when Kissie (thats the mama's name) jumped into my van and we pulled away from the shelter, she laid in my front seat and said "Thank You for saving me!". Ok, she didnt literally say that but thats what her eyes said.
We got home and she was FILTHY. Her nails looked like they had never been clipped. She let me bathe her and trim her nails. This is something my own pets wont even let me do. The director of the rescue I'm working with said she would want to be isolated so I tried putting her in the bathroom with her puppies. Tried is the key word in that sentence. Immediately she wanted out. I introduced her to Olive first and they began to play. Dolly was not
thrilled to have a new friend so I let her be.
From that moment on Kissie and her puppies became part of our family. She follows me all over the house and loves to sit in our laps. One might think it would be uncomfortable to have a 70lb dog in your lap. However, when you are used to a 100lb+ dog in your lap, 70 is a welcome change! Chase even named the puppies. Black puppy is May, brown puppy is Chocolate, and gray puppy is Merriweather.. Helen helped out with that one.

The hardest part of this experience will no doubt be when Kissie goes to her permanent foster. I knew this situation was not permament. I knew that I was only helping out until mom and puppies could be seperated. I never thought I would fall in love. How can I let Kissy know that in 10 days she will leave me forever? I cant. And that is what breaks my heart.
Please pray for my Kissy.
Pray that she goes to a foster that feels about her the way I do. That they will let her sit on their laps and give her hugs.
Pray that she isnt there long and that God brings her the most incredible forever family.
One that will love her more than I ever could. One that will never let her be cold or hungry.
Most importantly, one that will never make her say goodbye ever again.












1 comment:
Kissie was a great dog. So sweet. I miss her and her puppies at your house. Notice I said at YOUR house :-) I'm sure as wonderful a dog as she is she found a place in the heart of a wonderful forever family. God bless you for sharing all the love you have to give, with some of God's precious creatures.
Post a Comment