Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine's Day

Well, today is Valentine's Day. I have never been a super big fan of this holiday. When we were still dating and first engaged, (I felt like) Chris always felt like he had to do a big display. The flowers were always beautiful and the chocolate was always tasty. I'll admit when I was younger I enjoyed the extra attention and I do really think that he enjoyed giving it to me. 

As I got older, I started to realize something. There is so much that my husband does for me everyday that makes flowers and chocolate on a commercial holiday pale in comparison. 

After Chase was born, Chris decided to go back to school. He wanted to have a college education so that he could get a job that didn't require him to work 10-12 hour days 6 days a week. He wanted for our children to see that when you want something bad enough and are willing to work for it, it will come to you! 

He also wanted for me to be a stay at home mom. He saw how it broke my heart when I had to leave Chase to go back to work. And it did. It never seemed to get easier for me like it did for others. I cried almost everyday when I dropped him off and on more than one occasion I would cry in the bathroom just because I missed him so much. 

And so it began. 5 1/2 years of my husband working full time, going to school full time at night, and balancing a family at the same time. It was HARD! It tested our relationship in more ways than I could tell you. It didn't matter if I was sick or tired, if Chris was exhausted, or if Chase was crying begging his daddy not to go. Every class, Chris was there. Through job lay off's and another baby, he was always there. And in the end he graduated with Highest Honors. In fact, on the day he graduated, Chris drove straight to the ceremony from work, he didn't even have a chance to change clothes! When he walked across that stage I have never been more proud of him and I know he was very proud of himself.

Chris has also been so great with our babies. He has never hesitated to take over a middle of the night feeding, give the baby a bath, or even just to take them downstairs so I can sleep in an extra hour or 2. I have heard so many stories of fathers who never changed a diaper or wouldn't even hold the baby for mom to take a shower. I just cant even imagine that because I never even had to ask Chris to do any of those things. 

Don't get me wrong, things are not always kittens and rainbows. There are lots of sacrifices and no matter how much either of us do around the house or for the boys, there is always more that is needed. Putting all of that aside, I would rather have the Chris who falls asleep hugging me every night, would rather grill the two of us a steak than go out with the guys, and forgets to help with the dishes but always remembers that Tuesday is the night that we watch our DVR shows, than anyone else in the whole world. 

So in conclusion on this (our 13th Valentine's day) I may not have 2 dozen roses and a 3 foot stuffed bear; I have so much more. In the years to come I can not wait to look back and see all the things he has given me that can't be put in a vase. 


1 comment:

Meredith said...

Wonderful post! I have become quite the Valentines Scrooge. I don't hate it but don't care for it either.We do for the kids and that is about it. What matters IS every other day!!